Wiring up a new timber frame

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Wiring up a new timber frame
  • From: "steevc" <steevc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 19:49:34 -0000

After several years of tallking it looks like work on our new house
will start this month. Suddenly we have lots to sort out. Obviously I
want to put in loads of cable for any potential uses. I know more or
less what I want, but I'm interested if anyone else has done a
similar job and what hints they might have. In theory it should be a
simple matter of drilling holes in various bits of wood and threading
the cables through.

I'll probably go for 4xCAT5 to each point. Is it easier to do them
all at once?

Does lubrication help? Oooer!

Advice I've seen is to do data cables after the electrician has done
his bit so they can be kept apart, but this could narrow the window
when I can do my bit. I'm planning to do that data/video myself with
some help.

I want to allow for surround sound in the living room. As I'm not
sure what system I'm getting yet I want to have some way to put in
whatever cables I might need. I'm fairly sure where the TV will go,
so I need a way to get the cables to the opposite corner. I'm
thinking of either trunking in the walls or something in the floor.
The floor will be solid, but I wondered if it would be possible to
put in trunking when it is laid.

Node zero will be in the loft. Some lights will be X10 or Comfort
relays. The X10 units may be positioned nearer the lights for ease of
cabling.

I'm planning to be at the meeting next week so I'll bring along some
plans if anyone is interested.

Steve

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!