RE: IR Control & Other Stuff

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: IR Control & Other Stuff
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 20:10:43 +0100

> [Rob Mouser]
> This one's a major dilemma! And your right the money bit is s a
> nightmare!  I keep reading in this group about a switcher but I can't
> wait if there is no date!

I'm keeping my gob shut on this, I got into trouble before for winding
certain people up ;-(

> What if......I added three cheaper amps with IR facility and then
split
> the inputs (From cd, tuner etc) across them (Don't know how I would
> split them though?)

I thought of that as an option.

What I really wanted to do was feed a line level source signal from a
remote source to a dedicated amp for the room which would be switched
on/off using an X10 module. The problem is the control in the room,
ideally I would like a little LCD or suchlike for a very simple control
of functions. Paul Gordon did something rather funky with the control in
his bathroom, turned out to be very neat...Paul, can you give details?

>  I could then control the whole caboodle with emitters linked to a
> controller...

That was my plan, now on hold due to me not thinking the thing through
enough. Oh, and having sod all time to do anything about it anyway!

.....which in turns leads me to another burning
> question....should I buy a HomeVision unit? Are they really that good?

YES!

YES!

> I'm worried that its IR learning capability is limited, doesn't it
only
> have capacity for 200 hundred odd commands in IR?

And the problem here would be what exactly? ;-)

I've got a good bit of my entire AV system for the AV room as well as a
whole bunch of other codes in HV, so far I've used up 8.1% of its
capability. I think I'll run out of IR enabled devices long before HV
runs out of space. Remember that not every single IR code has to be
monitored by HV to make your system very functional indeed, particularly
if you are going to put in an IR distribution system.

> I had RoomLink years ago and it was totally incompatible with the
> Xantech stuff I now have. Xantech is the business but fairly pricy,
but
> if you want reliability its about the only system I can hand on heart
> say I've had virtually no problems at all with.
>
> The bullet type receivers are superb BTW, work very well and are very
> subtle I have one in the wall of the lounge and one in the bedroom/
>

> [Rob Mouser] Oh well there goes more cash, anyone tried them mounted
in
> the ceiling?

Shouldn't make a blind bit of difference to you Rob, the ones I have are
mounted into hollow walls with no problems and, with the Pronto, I can
literally point the remote in the totally opposite direction from the
receiver at the wrong end of the room and it still picks up the signal!
Even the TiVo remote and the Philips TV one had no problem just pointed
generally around the room and not directly at the receiver.

HTH

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor