IR Control & Other Stuff

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IR Control & Other Stuff
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 17:06:44 +0100

Firstly hello from a newbie to all this home automation wizardry, after
countless hours surfing I think I have a 'vision' of where I see my
automated home, my barn conversion down here in sunny Devon is nearly
finished and it will soon be time to implement my 'vision'.....me thinks
it will start to become a little more tricky now...dream to reality
stuff!

Anyway I've a couple of questions and experience requests:

      1)      Firstly I'm looking at multi-room hi-fi and after
looking at the Linn stuff and the seemingly overpriced QED System line
kit I've decided to keep my existing separates stack and add a Rotel pre
& power set up. I'm lead to believe that the RMB1075 power amp is
controllable by its DB25 interface, allowing computer control.
            Anyone had any experience of trying this?
      2)      Secondly I'm going to add a couple of Sony CX450, 400CD
changers for my ever increasing CD collection, I'm proposing to control
these via a slink-e linked to HomeSeer software. Control of the cDJ
software will be via two house PC's and a Fujitsu Web pad with wireless
lan.
            Again has anyone had experience of this type of set up?
      3)      OK and for my last question, I've been looking around
for some reasonable cost IR receivers to link to a Zantech panel but
can't seem to find anything pretty and cost effective. The QED room link
units are quiet good but will they work with the Zantech box and the
slink-e, or only with the proprietary controller and emitters? Anybody
got any suggestions, have seen one site recommending placing bullet
style receivers in the ceiling?

P.S. The house has been first fixed with over 30 Cat5 points back to a
patch panel, with a couple of Cat5 cables terminating next to lighting
switches and the rest at convenient locations, not really sure what to
do with them all just yet, but figured now was the time to put it in.
QED 79 strand is back from every room to the panel as well. What have I
forgotten?

P.P.S. Have I gone completely mad!

Best wishes

Rob