Re: Micromodules....

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Micromodules....
  • From: "andy_powell_is" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 13:48:54 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@h...> wrote:
> Too big, too easily seperated from the appliance.

Agreed,

> When you use an AM12 for something portable like an hoover, when
you've

You ARE going to have a problem using any type of module with a
hoover. A hoover WILL generate line noise and probably block your
signal.

> appliance, _and_ (hardest part coming up now...) you've got to
train SWMBO
> to always be sure to use the module each time...

There is no way on this earth that I would pay 70 quid for a plug. I
don't care if it had an internet connection, 70 quid is 70 quid. 6.4
plugs is a homevision controller. When you look at the pricing 70
quid Vs 24 quid it makes it very hard to justify.

> Some socket locations have a very hard time fitting a bulky AM12
in... -
> I've a couple of places where sockets are close to an overhead
obstruction
> and the height of an AM12 prohibits their use.

This is very true, appliance modules are bulky.. and ugly... but
cheap.

> There are 2 fuses in the supply to the appliance, - when one goes,
how do
> you know which one it is?

that's easy, put a nail across the appliance module in place of the
fuse :P

> The micromodules support status reporting, but the AM12's don't, so
no way
> of determining the state of anything plugged into an ordinary
appliance
> module...

yup, but there's more of an argument for adding this to the existing
AM12's - or in fact every other module - there is no excuse for them
not having this...

> Suppose you want to use it in a restricted-use type of scenario,
i.e. like a
> TV in a kids bedroom, - any kid would soon figure out that all
he/she has to
> do to circumvent your "parental control" is remove the appliance
module from
> the socket, and plug the appliance in directly! - not possible with
an X10
> plugtop...

Actually, they'd probably figure out that you just have to turn the
TV on and off a couple of times to get the module to turn itself back
on... this applies to both types..

Andy

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!