RE: [OT] network problems guru req'd

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] network problems guru req'd
  • From: "David Yeend" <david.yeend@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 09:44:05 +0100

At home I run a workgroup with only Win98 machines and find the following:

You only need IP installed - the setup will bind NetBios to this by default.

I must admit that I can not comment on ME but I assume that at a basic level it is similar to 98.

Remember that you have proved connectivity with ping therefore the NIC and IP stack are installed correctly and functional. IP addresses, sub-net mask etc. are OK for local connectivity. You can connect using the UNC form and will probably find that using Find Computer will also locate the machine. Does Find-> Computer cause it to be displayed in NN?

I think it is a browser issue (not web browser).

IMO and, as someone else mentioned, NN seems un-reliable. I once read something about Windows and Browse lists which suggested that it can take some time for all the machines on a peer-to-peer net to have a browse list representative of the network.

I sometimes find that altering the settings in the Network Properties->File and Print Sharing For MS.... tab help. Try setting the Browse Master setting to Enabled. The other setting LM Announce is allegedly for compatibility with IBMs Lan Manager NOS - it is not supposed to help with this issue but, and this could be coincidence, I have changed it's value in the past and the machine then appears in NN!

All that said I have still found some installations which just would not play - it is more reliable, if you run NT Server or upwards, to use WINS for name resolution.

Something worth checking is to run Winipcfg, select the NIC card in the drop box and click the more info button. There should be a control which tells you the node type. For peer-to-peer I think you need B-Node (preferably) or H-Node. This defines how a machine obtains a browse list when you use NN. For Win95/98 see the MS knowledgebase article Q142042. I do not know if this is the same for WinME.

David