Re: Re: [OT] network problems guru req'd

<snip>
> > Is this communication problem with windows explorer (Network
> > Neighborhood) or with all communication? To prove this try to connect
> > from a W98/95 to the ME machine, if you get a dialog pop up asking
> > for a password and it won;t accept any then this is the most likely
> > cause.
>
> Ermm how do you mean "try to connect"
Using network neighbourhood.

> > Can you ping all machines from all others (i.e. ping
> > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)? If you can do this then TCP/IP is working fine.
>
> Aha :O)
> it will ping another machine (only 1 switched on at time of testing)
>

> > If you can ping and it is just file sharing it sounds like it could
> > be do with encrypted passwords. IIRC W95/98 use plain text for the
> > passwords and ME uses encrypted. To change this a registry hack is
> > required. I think you can do it either way (w95 encrypted, or ME not
> > encrypted.
>
> I didnt set up any passwords, it doesnt ask for any either, and i see
> nothing in "my network places" on the ME machine, and only the other 2
> machines in "my network"  on the win 95/98machines

It sounds like it may be a case of the workgroup being set wrong. Check in
network properties that the workgroup is set the same on all machines. It
may be a space of something like that.

You have enabled file & print sharing on the Win ME machine. Just a thought.

Alastair

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor