RE: (ukha_d) Re: (ukha_d) Wireless speakers - Nasty or what?

You didn't see the email I posted last Friday then, which is probably just = as
well, because....

First impressions were good, however after a weekend of using them, the
following has been observed:

1. You have to 'tune' the speakers into the RF xmitter.  This is fine,= however
when the speakers are powered off, they 'forget' the tuning setting, which = means
my plan of using appliance modules to control them is a non-starter.

2. If you have a mobile phone in the house, you might as well put it on sil= ent,
because the speakers give you more than enough warning of an incoming call!=

3. The RF xmitter goes into standby after 5 mins of no sound.  This is= an OK
feature, but it means that you have to put a 2 sec delay in anything that's=
spoken, otherwise you'll lose the first part of the speech.  Another f= eature is
the CB-radio style crackle every time it goes into standby.

4. The range (quoted as a max of 100M) is, as per usual, about a 10th of th= e
quoted figure once walls and ceilings are accounted for.

On the up side, the sound quality is reasonably good, and for regular music= of
the cordless variety they're OK - you get a lot for =A330.  For HA TTS= they're not
good though, unless you happen to have no mobile phones, live in a house wi= th no
walls and don't mind having them switched on constantly (at least the wall = warts
will heat the room a bit).

Back to plan B, the Veronica FM xmitter and lots of cheap radios.....