Re: OT Raid Setup for MP3 Server

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT Raid Setup for MP3 Server
  • From: "gjggroupid" <register@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:00:55 -0000

I work building servers everyday and the raid 5 vs raid 1 argument
comes up a lot.

We use the following split when building servers.

o/s =3D 2 x small drives (mirrored/raid 1).  Fast read + write
performance
data ="3D" x drives in a raid 5 array. Faster reads than writes
This can be done on the same controller easily.

This makes it easier to restore the os & data separately

This is obviously way ott for home use.  I would stick with Raid 5, plain using the largest drives you can.

In raid 5 the logical drive will be created using the smallest drive
size.  If you had 3 x 40GB (80GB logical drive) and added and 80GB drive you will only get 40GB extra (120GB logical drive).

Too enlarge all the disks, backup the data, re-create a radi 5 array
with larger drives and restore it.  This is a lot easier if the O/s is on a separate mirrored parition.

In a =A320k compaq server the difference between 7200rpm and 15k rpm is noticable.  In an PC architecture/IDE world, 5400rpm is fine IMO.

GarryG

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@e...> wr= ote:
> Am I missing something here, or is there a good reason not to go
for a RAID 5 partition, which, has thre resilience benefits of 1+0,
but with less "disk wasted" overhead.... You'd get 360Gb of usabl= e
storage instead of 240...

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""
3D""