RE: OT Raid Setup for MP3 Server

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT Raid Setup for MP3 Server
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:30:32 +0100

Andy,

If it's just for a server I would go for the slower drives for a couple of reasons...

1. Heat – The perennial killer of all things electronic ;-)

2. Do you really need speedy drives in a server? 9/10 I would say no.

3. Cost, okay so not a huge saving but a saving none-the-less.

4. To serve up files or MP3 the speed is wasted, IMO

In any server or mass-storage applications I generally tend to go down the 5400rpm route as it tends to be fast enough without causing major headaches and they simply work! I even used 5400rpm drives in TiVo and its fine with that and that’s serving up video!

Now if you want to play games things change…

K..for the slower drives for a couple of reasons..

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor