Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 4:12 AM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [OT] Writing books

When I stated working for "Post Office Telecommunications" as it was back in
1976, I was one of 12 apprentices taken on in the Norwich area. Of the 12,
11 of use were 16 witht he other being a year older and having done a year
in higher education.

I only had 6 CSE's,
Grade 1 Maths, Technical Drawing, General Science, Woodwork
Grade 2 MetalWork
Grade 4 English.

All the others had O Levels in loads of subjects. What clinched it for me at
the interview was that I took along a Sound-to-Light unit that I had built
for the Youth Club disco that I ran. The PCB was homemade as was the case
which was formed from a cut up solvent container. In fact, the words JIZER
were still decorating the inside of the case.

About 20 years later I was attending the funeral of a colleague and my old
training officer was there (he was at my original interview). We were
talking about the intervening years when he recalled the Sound to Light unit
that I had taken to the interview.

It wouldnt matter how good I had been at English, because whenever I have to
write technical documentation WORD would still complain about what I was
typing and then try to put what IT thought I wanted to write. What really
gets me is when you type in the name of a Microsoft product and the spell
checker doesnt think it is a proper word! You would think they would put all
their own product names and trademarks into the dictionary :-)

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv