Re: [OTish] Electronics (for HA)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OTish] Electronics (for HA)
  • From: "andy_powell_is" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 16:50:59 -0000

> You calculate the resitor value like this
> (Volt_drop_across_resistor)/(current_required)
>
> Volt drop is Supply-LED_Forward_Voltage (usually about 1.7-2.0V) so
for a 5
> volt supply assuming 2V for LED @ 2mA
>
> (5-2)/(0.002)=1500 ohms
>
> for a 12 volt supply
>
> (12-2)/(0.002) = 5000 ohms

errr .. ... if you say so...

> You can work out the current through a resistor by using
> VoltageDropped/Resistance so for the 220R resistor you have
specified you
> will be dropping about 3 or 10 volts depending on a 5 or 12 volt
supply

> 3/210  = 0.0142 = 14.2mA
>
> 10/210 = 0.0476 = 47.6mA
>
> Given that UK48 is a low current LED there is a distinct
possibility that
> you have converted it into a Dark Emitting Anti-Diode aka DEAD.

Ahhhh of course, and to add insult to injury I assumes that I had
wired it all wrong and put it back in one of those neat little 'bits
organisers' ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHERS! DOH!

Arrrrggghh!

> Dont be too downhearted, I bought my first LED when I was at
college in
> 1976. It cost me 75p and my wages were only ?21 per week. Within 45
minutes

Ouch!

> without the resistor. Also noticed strange acrid smell followed
shortly by
> smoke followed by lack of light. LED now DEAD :-((

There was no smell with mine... :( at least if there had been I would
have known :(

> Until you get the hang of it, electronics can be an expensive hobby
because
> you keep buying bits and destroying them.  :-(

Yes, I'm definately at this stage...

> Once you get the hang of it, electronics can be an expensive hobby
because
> you keep buying bits and building things :-)

...but this is where I'd like to be :D

Andy