Overcoming lack of status info with x10 modules

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Overcoming lack of status info with x10 modules
  • From: "Tony T" <home@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:30:37 +0100

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can help with the following:

I've rewired my lighting (only upstairs so far, due to easy access) into a
star formation back to node 0 (the loft again) to a mixture of LD10/AD10
modules, using momentary switches.

But I would like to overcome the x10 problem of not being able to query for
status information without having to replace the units.

My plan (possibly not very cunning) is to disconnect the momentary switches
>from control the modules purely thru x10. By ensuring state integrity in the
software (as much as possible that is - may have to recalibrate the dim
levels occasionally), the ha pc would then always know the current state of
the units (even following power outage). Would of course be pretty bu&&ered
if the ha pc goes down and the power doesnt!

The question is does anyone know where I could get a unit that I could
connect upto 16  momentary switches to, which could then pass on the fact
that a particular switch was currently 'on' (i.e. either momentary, or being
held down for dimming) to the pc via a serial (preferably, as easier to
integrate into my homebrew) or parallel/usb connection. I did consider
trying to use a 16 port serial card or similar, but was wondering if there
are any other options available?

Hopefully I've missed something really obvious/simple (again). I mean in the
form of kit of course, not my cunning plan ;-)

Many thanks
Tony T

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor