RE: Re: UKHA Classified update - SQL Help!

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: UKHA Classified update - SQL Help!
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:31:50 -0000

> I know what you mean, and to be honest 5 is probably as far
> as we will ever
> go. If it makes the solution easier then assume 5 and I will apply the
> relevant control in maintenance forms.

Nope, 0, 1, 2 or infinte are the only levels I deal with :)

> > Depends on what you use it for.
> > It's _very_ good at heirarchies.  You need to combine it
> with XSLT to be of
> > any real use.
> > One thing I do in an app of mine is retrive a data set from
> an SQL database
> <snip>
> > Ie, for me it displays what I accessed & when, with a count
at the
> > appropriate level of the number of child items.
> >
> > This is kinda what you want to do, but my counting and
> heirarchy stuff is
> > really in the XSLT.....
> >

> Yeah, it looks pretty cool, but it comes back to my point,
> you effectively
> have a 'copy' of the database that you can manipulate through
> XSLT, this
> sounds like SQL database and stored procedures with the only
> real advantage
> being the (I assume) simple way of doing the hierarchy stuff in XSLT.

Not really.  You retrieve your set of data as XML in a similar way to
retrieving a 'normal' recordset.
You can then transform it into different things using only an appropriate
stylesheet - eg you want a heirarchy from your tabluar data?  transform it!
You want a web page?  Transform that puppy!

I was quite sceptical of the whole XML/XSLT thing initially, and still have
my doubts about this wonderful interoperability lark sending a common
invoice format for example to companines around the world.... blah blah.
Where it has worked for me is when for instance data needs to be displayed
in a drop down combo box or a tree view - use the same data set from the
same business object (naturally!) and just XSLT it on the web server to the
appropriate format.
Or in the example I did earlier, the same XML file is used to display all
objects accessed by a single user (as per the results) or, with a different
XSLT transform, a list of users who have accessed a particular object.
I also have XML menu systems which are displayed either with pretty icons
press, or in a drop down list of options - again, same data source but
different transforms.

I don't do XML everywhere as it _can_ be more effort and ultimately gains
nothing, but it _can_ be a lot quicker to implement a solution with XML
than
without.

Certainly beats embedding HTML in the recordset you get back from SQL
Server
as I have seen done a number of times!!!

Tony

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com