RE: Re: UKHA Classified update - SQL Help!

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: UKHA Classified update - SQL Help!
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:57:10 -0000

> ProductType can have many Products, Product belongs to single
> ProductType.
> Product has a single Status, Status can apply to several Products

Okay, so the product gets a different status id when it's status changes?

> ProductType can drill down infinitely according to the
> database design, but
> for practical purposes I assume maximum of 10 levels in the
> ASP code so I
> suggest the same would be fine for this function.

If it's 10, it may as well be infinite :-)

> > If you were extracting as XML of course, it would be a
> simple matter to
> > xform it with XSLT and generate the counts for you.....
> >

> XML is still something I have not really looked at. The
> problem as ever is
> time, but also I couldn't see what it gave me as an advantage over
> SQL/ASP/CSS in relation to the sort of sites I do. In my very
> simplified
> view of XML (and I know that there are plenty here who will
> tell me I'm
> completely missing the point) it allows 'database like'
> functionality on
> the client, it 'divideds format and content' and it allows
> information to

Depends on what you use it for.
It's _very_ good at heirarchies.  You need to combine it with XSLT to be of
any real use.
One thing I do in an app of mine is retrive a data set from an SQL database
in XML format

<OBJECTLIST>
<OBJECT ID="application">
<DESCRIPTION>Camelot Application</DESCRIPTION>
<TASK ID="admin">
<DESCRIPTION>Administer Camelot Users</DESCRIPTION>
<ACCESS DATE="15 Jan 2001 09:15"
SORTDATE="200101150915">
<USER ID="butlert">
<FORENAME>Tony</FORENAME>
<SURNAME>Butler</SURNAME>
</USER>
</ACCESS>
<ACCESS DATE="22 Jan 2001 10:05"
SORTDATE="200101221005">
<USER ID="butlert">
<FORENAME>Tony</FORENAME>
<SURNAME>Butler</SURNAME>
</USER>
</ACCESS>
<ACCESS DATE="12 May 2001 14:11"
SORTDATE="200105121411">
<USER ID="fishf">
<FORENAME>Freddy</FORENAME>
<SURNAME>Fish</SURNAME>
</USER>
</ACCESS>
</TASK>
<TASK ID="audit">
<DESCRIPTION>View Audit Details</DESCRIPTION>
<ACCESS DATE="03 May 2001 13:20"
SORTDATE="200105031320">
<USER ID="butlert">
<FORENAME>Tony</FORENAME>
<SURNAME>Butler</SURNAME>
</USER>
</ACCESS>
</OBJECT>
</OBJECTLIST>

which, by the power of XSLT (on the server as clients don't all support the
same version of the XML parser)
is magically transformed into a HTML heirarchy of DIVs to display a tree
like this:

Camelot Application (3)
Administer Camelot Users (2)
15 Jan 2001 09:15
22 Jan 2001 10:05
View Audit Details (1)

Ie, for me it displays what I accessed & when, with a count at the
appropriate level of the number of child items.

This is kinda what you want to do, but my counting and heirarchy stuff is
really in the XSLT.....

I'll have a look at the SQL solution though....

Tony

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com