Re: X Box/Leopard/Ace

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:17:19 -0000 (GMT Standard Time), you wrote:

>>> It's not really a PC, although superficially it does seem to
be like
>>> one.  There are a few differences in the architecture, and
there's no
>>> operating system as such - it just runs an optimised version
>>> of DirectX
>>> 8 straight on the metal.
>>
>> On the contrart, it runs an embedded version of NT.
>> Think about it - _something_ has to do the disk access stuff, read
the
>> DVD drive, power up and run the main menu screen.
>> That is the operating system at work - and it is NT!
>
>Errr, I think it's actually a stripped down version of the Win2K
kernel,
>with DX8 bolted into it.

It's a very, very stripped down kernel, and most of what's missing is
the sort of things you'd need to run it as a PC-style multi application
platform (especially multi-tasking, which you have to take care of
yourself).

Still, looking at the info on the Homestation thing, maybe they'll be
providing a general purpose O/S as well, which could make things a lot
easier.

DP

--=20
David_Paterson =3D david.paterson@xxxxxxx =A6 david.paterson@vissci.=
com;

Senior R & D programmer    There are three kinds of people in the world
-
Visual Sciences Ltd.        those who can count, and those who can't...