RE: OT: XBox/PC comparison (was X Box/Leopard/Ace)

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: XBox/PC comparison (was X Box/Leopard/Ace)
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:08:02 -0000

> > > For control via a joypad, Halo does a very good job.
> >
> > Good job with a joypad controller, not good job per-se :-)
>
> We'll agree to disagree there ... for the average, non PC owning user
> it's fine.

I know it's gotten rave reviews, and is easy to hold etc.  What works
depends on the game I guess - eg, I had no problems at all with Golden Eye
on the N64.  The game was written to suit the controller & worked well
-
though other PC gamers just couldn't get to grips with it.
If MS release a kb & mouse for the xbox, then both PC and non PC gamers
can
play, using the control mechanism of their choice.

> Oh I play CS all the time ... you'll find me on the UK2
> servers with the
> handle 'Britney Spears' :-)

Nice.  Think u may have been on our Jolt server once - or was that Mariah
Carey? :)

> The point I was making was single user NOT single player. The
> PC can be
> a little anti-social as it's just you and at the PC and no-one else.

True, in the physically being there sense - but it doesn't seem that
anti-social when me & my mates are chatting online whilst playing
CS......
Voice Comms has made a big difference to us playing too - you can't really
play and type at the same time (to discuss tactics), but you can talk &
play
no probs.

I know what you mean though - on the whole, with PC games, it is just you
and your machine.

> Screen size is a valid point. But with a 32 inch TV, you are
> getting a
> viewable area close to that of a 15 inch monitor. Not perfect but not
> the worst thing in the world.

Try 4 ppl playing 1 game, 4 or 5 feet from the TV and, even with a 32"
screen, it does not seem the same as 4 x 15" monitors.
Maybe if you sat as close to the TV as you do a PC screen.......

> As for other players seeing you, it means you have to be
> ultra-sneaky :-
> ) Like I said, the Xbox and a PC each have their own +ves and -ves.

Indeed.  I am not against an X-box.  I even have SWMBO approval to buy one,
I just don't think I would use it enough to justify it.
Major _disadvantage_ of X-Box:  You want to play a game.  SWMBO wants to
watch corrie.  You both need the TV. You lose.
Major _advantage of PC:  You want to play a game.  SWMBO wants ot watch
corrie.  She needs the TV, you need a monitor.  Everyone wins :-)

Tony

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com