RE: Multimedia keypad was Re: Someone asked about "nice" clock

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Multimedia keypad was Re: Someone asked about "nice" clock
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:15:50 +0000

>Like perhaps an LCD display giving you some sort of menu system and
status
>display [MP3 track info]....?  Music to shower by, music to relax by,
music
>to dump to....

I'd thought of some kind of display device, but space on a standard
double-gang plate is limited... For now I just use TTS for feedback, - so
when the source select button is pressed, TTS announces the device just
selected...

>Also with a menu system, you could do things like divert all calls to
>voicemail - mind you could do this as part of your macro button - but
>you've
>only got so many buttons to play with.

Err... plus I've got a phone there as well, that is reachable from both the
bath/shower, and the bog...

>The technology part is fairly easy - making it look good (and hence
getting
>SWMBO approval) seems to be the most difficult part!  Now if you could
find
>someone to engrave the legends on your plate....

Indeed, - I have looked long & hard for an easy DIY solution to this...
The
best I've come up with so far, is one of those electronic label machines,
with a black text on silver background tape in it... Or letroset rub-down
transfer lettering... In both cases, the labels would be on the plate, not
the switches themselves...

Paul G.