Re: Multimedia keypad was Re: Someone asked about "nice" clock

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Multimedia keypad was Re: Someone asked about "nice" clock
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:10:17 +0000

>I'm clearly a moron,

Not at all!!... :-)

>I can't understand how to make something happen
>when a commands comes in from the serial port...

You need to get the "serial Port" plugin from www.girder.nl
first. (I think
the file is "serial23.zip"). Extract "Serial.dll" from
the zip, and copy it
into your "\Girder\plugins\hardware" directory.

Then you must enable it, so that Girder can use it as an input device, to
do
this, select: File... Settings.... Then select the "hardware
plugins" tab,
and tick the box next to "Generic Serial Support" (if this is not
there,
then you haven't completed the previous step properly..)

Whilst there, you also need to configure the serial plugin, so with the
"Generic Serial Support" item highlighted, press the
"settings" button, and
complete the dialog to set up the COM port you are using etc.. Also, check
the "Auto enable input device" option as well...

Having done this, it will appear under the drop-down list of input devices
next to the "Learn Event" button on the main Girder page...

Create a test command, make sure the drop-down list says "Generic
Serial
Support", and press the "Learn Event" button. A dialog will
appear asking
you to type in the serial string that will be received. (unfortunately, It
won't allow you to send the string in from the device and learn it...
bummer
huh?)

Enter the string that will be received from your device, and
"OK"... That's
it! - cause your device to send the string in via the COM port, and your
test command should be run... - you can also see the actual serial port
input data on the Girder status line... - you may need some trial &
error
with the settings before it actually matches the strings you send it...

HTH

Paul G.