Multimedia keypad was Re: Someone asked about "nice" clock

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Multimedia keypad was Re: Someone asked about "nice" clock
  • From: "andy_powell_is" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:04:25 -0000

Paul,

>=20
> Fairy nuff, - I prefer an off-the-shelf solution for several=20
reasons, -=20
> mainly time, - I just don't have the time to learn new=20
hardware/software=20
> skills when a simple ready-to-run solution is already available=20
for "about=20
> the same price". Secondly is the issue of support, - what
happens=20
if I build=20
> something myself, and it doesn't work? - =A335 worth of components=20
doing=20
> nothing?

You are of course quite correct, time is of the essence (sp!!) but I=20
just wanted to have a go. I have the Basic staps lying around doing=20
nothing anyway :P ... as I'm just learning electronics and how to use=20
the stamps... the other thing is of course, if it doesn't work you=20
tear it apart (not literally!) and use the bits for something else...=20
many of the components I have actually come out of old, broken radios=20
etc...I'm a cheapskate at heart :D

>=20
>=20
> With Girder as the software element, the way it works is entirely=20

will download it and have a peak.. are you using Girder to control=20
the apps, or using something like the winamp COM control?=20

> The VIOM is configured to report switch status upon any input=20
change, and it=20
> always reports the status of all the inputs at once, thus pressing=20
button=20
> number 1 will send "1000000000000000" to the serial port
when it's=20
pressed,=20
> and "0000000000000000" when it's released. It's therefore
possible=20
to detect=20

this is the beauty of the basic stamp, I had this same effect... I=20
didn't like it so now it only reports the presses and ot the=20
releases.. of course I can change that...

=20
> The downside of course, is that a PC is required full-time, but as=20
a PC is=20
> providing the media feeds anyway, that's really not an issue for=20
me... Plus=20

> I'm going to try to put a watchdog in the VIOM that can reset the=20
PC if it=20
> hangs/crashes whatever.. - a recurring event on the PC will send a=20

yup, that's a nice idea too... I think I'll add that :P

> port command to the VIOM to refresh one of it's internal timers,=20
the VIOM=20
> will have one of it's output lines connected to the PC's hardware=20
reset=20

two questions for this one, what 'voltage' - if any is on a PC reset=20
switch? 5?? or 12?? I guess that means that either this PC does not=20
have passwords enabled or it 'automatically' logs in...?? if not how=20
are you running applications after a reboot?

The only other advantage I get is that you have to run 2 x CAT5 to=20
your socket, I'll only need a max of 4 wires, so 'half' a CAT5=20
cable...=20

One disadvantage for me is power, are you running any power over the=20
CAT5 cable or is it just contact closure?

> >Once again Paul - brilliant idea...
>=20
> Thanks!

no probs, tis the truth!