In car PC with LCD question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: In car PC with LCD question
  • From: "John Hegarty" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 08:44:01 -0000

Apologies, this is a bit off topic. I am trying to cobble together a
in-car PC using an old laptop I had spare. I've got GPS all working and
have sorted out how I am keeping it charged. My only problem is the
display.

The laptop has a Composite video output (aka TV OUT) presented as a
phono plug which works fine when connected to my TV. Unfortunately it
only gives a black and white picture on my 12v 5 inch PAL LCD display
(made by Centurion). Now my understanding is that this is normally due
to trying to view NTSC on a PAL screen. So I have just tried another
(newer) laptop that has a selectable NTSC/PAL output - and the display
is still black and white in either mode :-(

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I go next ? Are there small 12v
TFT displays with VGA inputs out there that are affordable ?

One last resort thought I had was to pull the laptop apart and see if
the interface to its own LCD was something that I could easily extend
the 3ft from under the passenger seat, to the console where I want the
diplay. Is this even possible given the delicate timings of laptop
displays ?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

John.

---