My WAP11 Problem - What I did wrong

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: My WAP11 Problem - What I did wrong
  • From: mafiu@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:39:11 +0000 (GMT)

My problem was that I thought the AP was like ICS and handled a sort of
DCHP for all the other wireless products.  I dont have a DCHP server on my
lan - I use 168.192.100.x and hard code all my devices.

I incorrectly assumed that the pc card would get an internal ip address
from the WAP11 and the Wap11 would route it to the lan like an ICS client
routes to the net.  When I booted my mobile device it picked up
69.100.somat.somat which I thought was a reserved subnet for w-lans.  The
signal strenght was high and whenever the pc card led flashed the ap and
hub uplink activity flashed as well, but no IP and no NETBIOS.

In desparation I stoped the PC card using DCHP and hard coded a 192.168
address in, rebooted and it all sprung to life.

What had thrown me was the AP config software asking for an IP address.  Am
I right to think that that IP address is optional - and only used for snmp
management of the unit via IP?  If thats correct then all the ap does is
collect the w-lan devices to the lan (segment) without any IP really.  Does
that make it a bridge?  (connecting 2 network topologies to the same
segment???)

Anyway it works.  Brilliant.  Popped the laptop into the car this morning
and drove to work watching the signal meter.  Got about 4 feet.  Need an
ariel!

Maf