RE: Newbie about to run Cat5

>25mmx16mm with a snap on lid (but buried in the wall) since it's got
more
>useable cross-section. Has anyone installed this type, any comments on
the
>benefits (or otherwise) ?

I used this in node zero to contain runs of Cat5 and CT100.

The straight runs are fine, but as with any conduit its the cornering that
can be fun :-)

It installs fine, I tend to drill holes in the trunking and screw it to the
wall. - the biggest problem you may have is making sure it doesn't move, as
your plasterer will curse you, and you have the danger of undoing all his
good work, through cracking.

>I was planning on a 5-6mm plaster coat on top of the conduit - will
this be
>thick enough to prevent cracking etc ?

Finishing plaster will be fine, to ensure it doesn't crack see above, and
also ask your plasterer to run some tape over the conduit, (not sure what
this stuff is, but my plasterer used it over conduit and the joint between
the bay window ceiling and the house, and its been fine.

>Also, in some locations, I may want to run Cat5 & speaker cable in
same
>conduit. I know mains & LV (Cat5) in the same conduit is a no-no,
but what
>about Cat5 & speaker cable ?

I've done this, and haven't had a problem with either signals.

>I can chase the wall, fit the conduit and plaster over, but what about
the
>backbox ? Ideally I'd like to fit this too, and completely hide it
under
the
>plaster

Are you planning to just fit the conduit or run the cables in there too?

There should be no issue either way, and I am not aware of regs on Cat 5
cable... but do follow the standard practice of running the cables straight
down the wall over the backbox.

Also you can buy covers for backboxes that can be used whilst plastering,
it
may be worth your while either making some or finding them, TLC used to
sell
them. - so when you plaster you do not fill the backbox with plaster, as
scooping this out in the future would be a nightmare.

If you are not installing the cable, at least put a length of string in the
conduit, to ease pulling cables through at a later date.

HTH

Daniel