RE: Re: How difficult is it to wire/crimp my own CAT5?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: How difficult is it to wire/crimp my own CAT5?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <lists.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:01:54 -0000

From: nsouthga [mailto:lardfest@xxxxxxx]
Apologies for the newbie-type questions, but to clarify you're saying
that:

A patch cable (ie one that goes from a hub to a device of some kind
e.g. PC or another Hub) requires stranded cat5 patch cable which is
different and more expensive that cat5 cable.

Yes

And you should only fit sockets on cat5 cable and plugs on stranded
cat5 cable?

Yes

Why is fitting a socket easier than fitting a plug?

The connections on a socket are exposed and you lay the wire into the top of an IDC connector and use a punchdown too to press it into the slot. A plug requires you to strip about 12mm of sheath and then persuade the 8 wires to fan out into a particular order and stay that was as you slide them into the body of the plug. Then you use a special tool to crimp the plug. Much more fiddley.

My immediate need is to cable from my hub upstairs to my lounge
downstairs. I'd like to stick my little 4 port hub in the lounge so I
can connect several devices. I understand this should work as long as
I use the uplink port on my hub(s). In this scenario would/could I
use cheap cat5 to a socket in the lounge and then add a patch cable
from the socket to the mini-hub?

You only need an uplink port at one end. You can also do it be reversing the pairs on the socket or using a crossover cable.

And finally, let's automate sell cat5 cable, they don't make a
distinction between cat5 and cat5 stranded and they sell both the
plugs and the sockets?

Cant comment. Havent seen it although Patch cord is normally only on 100m reels whereas CAT5 cable comes in a 305m (1000 ft) box for about the same price.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor