RE: 802.11a - update

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: 802.11a - update
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:32:01 -0000

> My experience of 802.11b suggests that unless you are in
> direct line of sight and within about a 1/4 of suggested
> range, you are NOT going to get 11 Mbps. Same applies for
> 802.11a but you have a lot more bandwidth available to fall
> from. A 50% fall with 802.11b will give you 5.5 Mbps ... with
> 802.11a you are down to 28 Mbps ... still very usable.

Assuming the fall off is linear, my distributor says its not, and
looking at the data in the report it confirms this. In a house the
internal walls will cause the data rate to drop, looking at the data I
would think you might be around double the speed. At 100ft range the
802.11a has dropped to 18 Mbps wile the 802.11b is still working at full
speed 11 Mbps

I am sure that 802.11a is much better, in in a office situation it is
undoughtly the way to go when VPN becomes built in, but for home use it
will have to fall in price a lot before I switch. I type this on my
laptop with a silver card and a WAP11 AP. The AP is about 25ft away, but
between us is a three foot thick stone wall, actually because of the
angle it will be more like 4 ft. its drop off is 50% if I was compiling
a big programme stored on my server I might notice the difference. But
normal work I can see no problem

John