RE: [OT] Widescreen ....was ( Anyone seen the Panny LCD TVs in the flesh)

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Widescreen ....was ( Anyone seen the Panny LCD TVs in the flesh)
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:18:30 -0000

Title: Message
Keith,

Some films are shot full frame, but then masked to 2.35:1 or whatever the cinema release ratio is intended to be.  Thus the film you are _meant_ to see is the widescreen one, even though there is _less_ on screen.
Occasionally broadcasters xmit such films without re-applying the masking so you get the situation you have observed.
I can't remember the reasoning behind filming in this way rather than using a widescreen camera - perhaps it is just to make TV transmission easier so they don't have to do a pan 'n scan version.......

So: WS does not necessarily mean more, it just means perhaps 'more likely to be like the cinema release'.
Is this better?  Dunno mate, but personally I think _not_ seeing the top of Dr. Emmet Brown's head is a _good_ thing :-))

Tony