Re: Mini mobos

> > > http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/5868.shtml
> >
> > It's a nice machine, but the CPU/case fan is very noisy.  Not
> > the kind of thing to sit in your hifi rack unobtrusively.
> > Aside from that, it's quite cool though.
>
> Yes, the demo units I saw a few months back were damn noisy. Shame
> really because as you said, a very cool little machine.
>
> If only the guys from Apple were involved because I'm sure they could
> make them very quiet indeed.

I doubt it.  The problem is, it has to dissipate a certain amount of heat
>from
amount of heat it has to dissipate, or to make it larger.  As the idea is
keep it small, you need to reduce the heat it needs to dissipate.  I can
think of a few ways of doing this.  All of them reduce performance.  I
think
the best way would be to retrofit a 900MHz Via C3 chip.  This dissipates
around 11W compared to 20W (ish) from the Celeron 1GHz.  I guesstimate that
you'd be able to reduce fan speed and get rid of most of that noise.

I've not had a look inside, but ducting of the air may also help.  It
originally came out back in late 2000, so the technology is quite dated.
Of
course, if they re-release it with up-to-date technology, it may be a very
cool (pun intended!) item.

Andy
--
PC-Based Multimedia System