RE: Smoothwall

Yep - it seems smoothwall is riveted with holes so it seems I am going to
g=
with IPcop.  Cheers for the advice.

ZAP is kak (IMO) because to use it as a front end for a small network of
PC=
that are all running MSN messenger, FTP, HTTP, netmeeting, some telnet, and
other things- you need to open a lot of ports which seems to defeat the
object.  Now with IPcop you can define a green (network) zone, red
(interne=
zone) and orange (with pinholes to get to the green zone).  Seems a lot
safer to me. Apart from anything if ZAP loaded at bootup (which would be
th=
point with adsl) it wouldn't let me connect at all to the internet.  It
onl=
worked if I manually loaded it after bootup.  I know this seems like a
smal=
opportunity to be hacked but if there was a power cut in the morning and
th=
server rebooted after wards then this would mean my network would be
vulnerable until I noticed that ZAP wasn't running and ran it manually.

All in all I wasn't impressed with ZAP in the slightest.  I initially went
for it as I had tried it at the time of the nimda attacks and was very
impressed with it - the new version seems to be a step in the wrong
direction though.

Anyway - I'm a happy bunny now or at least I will be when I set it up
tonight.

Thanks again
Pedro