RE: Smoothwall

I found smoothwall unreliable often crashing after a few hours. There are other solutions which stop up for months on the same hardware.

At 19:23 10/03/2002 +0000, you wrote:
That's not true Chris. IPCop is a recent fork from Smoothwall GPL and
as a result is almost identical at the moment. It is however
*completely* free of charge and will remain so. This is not the case
with Smoothwall.

My advice is the same as Chris's tho. IPCop has a lot going for it,
not least the skills and knowledge of the main developers and the
features they plan to implement into IPCop for the future.

Rather than using the sourceforge site, try http://www.ipcop.org ...
yes I know it points to the same place, but that may not be the case
in future :-)

Also, if you need any help with it, point your IRC client to
irc.openprojects.net and /join #ipcop

On 10 Mar 2002 at 12:07, Chris Bond wrote:

> 200MB would be fine - however look at http://ipcop.sourceforge.net it’s
> a lot more secure than smoothwall.

g to the smoothwall site it seems that it's a linux distro .
> is
> > this right?
<SNIP>
Yes

> > What I would like to know is how much disk space smoothwall needs..
I can get cheap (£2) 200Mb hard drives but how much space
could I get away with 200Mb??
<SNIP>
That should be fine

Does smoothwall do
> > internet connection sharing?  Does it do port forwarding??
<SNIP>
Yes and yes. Also supports transparent proxy, DMZ, VPN, etc etc etc

Enjoy :-)

--
Calum Morrell

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor