Calling all IR experts...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Calling all IR experts...
  • From: "psghome2002" <psghome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 22:58:26 -0000

I've got this Kustom 6 source, 6 zone amp that operates using a wall
controller for each zone. These wall controllers have IR learning
programmable buttons and IR receivers that allow IR distribution
through the amp to individual or 'summed' components.

The amp's volume and mute functions for each zone are only
controllable through the wall controllers (button or IR) as there is
no IR or other input locally at the amp.

The controllers connect to the amp via a CAT3/5 cable and acording
to the (sparse) instructions have a dedicated IR line.

I'd like to be able to control each of the amp's zones from
Comfort / HomeVision. Of couse I could do this by running another
cable to each wall controller and using an IR LED to pass the
signals back to the amp but this is not a very elegant solution.

My questions are:

1) How likely is it that the IR signals the Kustom units use are
compatible with the signals produced by HV / Comfort? i.e. is there
a standard for passing IR signals?

2) If they are, could I splice into the IR data line, a connection
>from
controller to amp as designed but also to 'inject' a signal at the
amp)? - Did that make sense?

3) What testing should I do to make sure I don't shag anything up
before trying this!?

Any thoughts / technical help appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.