RE: Re: Will I ever learn !!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Will I ever learn !!
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 00:33:05 -0000

Unless you automate your backup, chances are you will never have everything
backed up in the event of system failure (or in this case anything...
hehe).

Spend a little more and go for a RAID (mirror) system (or upgrade to one)
since at least this provides a decent level of fault protection and gets
you
up and running after system failure in a small amount of time with very
little effort towards the backup on your part.

If you have the cash, invest in a multi tape system then you can have an
"automated" tape changer for streamed tape backup. You then just
have the
system constantly dumping itself to tape so the potential loss is down to
hours or even minutes at the expense of restore time. But unless you are
really unlucky and lose both (or more depending on your chosen
configuration) hard drives in hardware raid, chances are you wouldn't need
the restore from tape anyway.

For a budget system, only use hard drives that are reasonably small. This
will force you to dump files to CDR or similar in order to maintain a
reasonable amount of free space. By ignoring the OS and applications since
the chances are you would have reinstall abilities, smaller disks would
then
mean that most of your long term (rarely used but you do not wish to
delete)
data is backed up to conserve disk space, leaving only the smaller amount
of
current files requiring supervised backup.

To bring this completely on topic... have your HA system announce loudly at
4am that you have not backed up for a month and if HA can't persuade you to
do it, SWMBO will on threat of the PC being used for target practice. :)

Mark.