Re: Just thinking... GPRS, 3G

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Just thinking... GPRS, 3G
  • From: "nick_towers2000" <nickt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 16:41:35 -0000

Could you not just use Demon Internet (dial up but no cut offs, can=20
be always on) for c=A320/month, with BT anytime (or whatever its=20
called) for I think another c=A320/m. Apologies for being vague, we use=20
this at work for a home worker, comes with fixed IP address, &=20
generally works fine.  Total cost c=A340/month. Somehow cannot see a=20
mobile solution being more cost-effective than this. But I could be=20
surprised...

Nick

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark McCall" <mark@a...> wrote:
> In the last year or so we've had a couple of "Cell" aerials
built=20
within a mile of our house.  Close enough to give great coverage from=20
our home, and far enough away not to be a health worry or eyesore.=20=20
Anyway...as I drove past them this morning I started thinking about=20
my lack of ADSL (and poor propects for it any time this century!).
>=20
> What I need is an "always on" connection so I can control
the house=20
through the web interface, it doesn't need to be highspeed as I have=20
ADSL to my desk in work and can download whatever I need from there.
>=20
> How likely is it that in the (near) future I could add some sort of=20
GPRS or 3G mobile module to my HA server to allow this?  Obviuosly=20
I'd need some sort of tarrif that took advantage of the always on=20
aspects of these services without a crippling subsription?