RE: AV Amps and video

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: AV Amps and video
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:22:59 -0000

> Most AV amps cannot switch RGB so you are going to have to
> have some sources than are going to go straight to the amp
> and in my opinion that situation is even more confusing.

No ... I use s-video ... The quality is indistinguishable from RGB in a
domestic environment and you get no issues with the sync of the three
colours getting out of step over long cables.

I do however route component video directly into my video scaler to feed
the projector as at 7ft I reckon there is a noticeable difference
between s-video and component.

> I suppose that at the momnent I am lucky in that I have
> enough SCARTS on the TV to cope
>
> DVD (RGB) SCART 3
> SKY DIGITAL (RGB) SCART 2
> Video (Composite) SCART 1

This is fine whilst you're not distributing to other rooms ... But if
someone had the DVD player playing to the upstairs telly then your Lowe
would be "grabbed" too by the SCART switching line.

> But if I were to get a Tivo I think I would get into problems!!!!!

Yup - RGB or composite only!