RE: AV Amps and video

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: AV Amps and video
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:41:40 -0000

> Surley the purpose of Home Automation is to automate the switching of
Video
> and Audio and such things without needing to purchase expensive
distribution amps.

Not necessarily ... Most AV amps have single destination switching built
in and hence by default this facility becomes available but multi-room
AV distribution usually requires additional specialized hardware. (Hence
the reason why we're waiting for Keiths switcher...)

> With my pronto I can keep all in sync with no need to route video
through my Denon 3801

OK ... So how are you doing your switching of video sources? If you're
routing through your TVs SCARTs then what happens when you have more
sources than SCARTs? In my living room I have a VCR, a TiVo, a Laserdisk
player, two DVD players (an autochanger for the DVD "library" and
single disk player for when I borrow DVDs) an On Digital box, a
PlayStation 2 - that's seven sources. There are three SCARTs on the back
of the TV.

The amp handles *ALL* the AV switching perfectly and also allows me to
distribute the switched video to my CRT projector and to a KAT5 feeding
the main bedroom - all without any double termination of video feeds.

Phil