RE: AV Amps and video

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: AV Amps and video
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 19:55:37 -0000

AV amps are generally designed to switch video and audio and are by default a crossover product. Usually they switch S-Video or composite sources, some do also switch component sources too, so you can set the display to use one input (from the amp) to switch all your AV sources, easily and all in one box.

Yes a distribution amp would probably be better, assuming that you are referring to a professional grade product, but very costly and, for the vast majority of people, neither a necessary expense nor mass of cables.

Just depends how much cash you have and how good you want the picture to be whether it’s worth the hassle, personally I don’t see the benefit of a separate video processor from the audio one particularly since many of the combined AV amps these days are very good at what they do.

HTH

K.