-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Doxey [mailto:lists.diyha@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 07 March 2002 13:57
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxxSubject: RE: [ukha_d] Noisy dimmer switches and RFI

Hi Tracey,

Any dimmer will generate noise. It is caused by chopping up the mains and suddenly applying current. It can be lessened by the judicious use of chokes to limit the rate of rise of current thereby limiting the magnetic field created. Better dimmers have larger chokes.

One way of trying to minimise the interference is to ensure that Live and Neutral follow the same path (something that doesnt always happen with house wiring) thereby creating a balanced circuit. Because the conductors are in close proximity and carrying identical but opposite currents the radiated magnetic field will be effectively cancelled.

The majority of interference is radiated by the WIRING not the dimmer. The dimmer is the cause but it is worsened haveing a bloody great aerial attached !

Keith