Re: Alcatel ADSL Modem

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Alcatel ADSL Modem
  • From: Alan Shields <alan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:21:33 +0000

Use smoothwall, it works straight out of the box with the alcatel modem.

I had a go at getting it to work on a standard linux distro last year, without much success. The usb support for linux is still fairly new and though people have it working there is a lot of effort involved.

Alan Shields
alan@xxxxxxx

On Thursday, March 7, 2002, at 09:10 am, Quinten Uijldert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm about to sign up for ADSL (once my HH is removed) and I've been
reading
> with interest the discussion of modem v router.
>
> I was planning to use the Alcatel USB modem connected directly to a Linux
PC
> to give the benefit of a more flexible firewall / NAT setup and the
> advantage of having the real ip on a pc as opposed to at the router for
> anything that can't cope with NAT (like some voice chat programs).
>
> Will the modem work fine on Linux or will I have to reboot the machine
> periodically and with a power cycle or just a warm reboot.
>
> Jeff.

The Alcatel website has information on drivers for Linux, have you looked
there?  I'm happily using the USB modem on a Windows box, but am moving to a
setup just like yours soon as well. Will be very interested to find out how
you get on (i'm very much a linux newbie).

Q.

--
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes!

For more information: http://www.automatedhome.co..uk