Re: Node 0 Server

> My 3rd post of the evening, I am looking to put in a proper rack
> mounted server in Node 0 instead of the current mini tower on my
> office floor, and am looking for some pointers on spec.
>
> At the moment I envisage it needing to able to do:-
> MP3 player/storage
> Control Sony Changer via Slinke
> ACE server
> File Server for home network
> Config on Comfort
> Email :- probably using exchange
> CBUS control/programming
>
> Not sure what else at minute, any ideas on killer apps I've not
> mentioned?
>
> What level of processor should I go for if I am looking at running
> either 2000 server or NT (free as I already have legit copy), any
> recommendation either way?

I am running Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000 Server on my P200 server with
64MB RAM.  It holds all my files including MP3s and DivX movies which are
played over my network by the multimedia machine.  It also runs DNS, WWW,
FTP, and various other services for my domain.  Seems to cope perfectly
well, but you wouldn't want to work on it - quite slow at the console.  Not
sure if it'll play MP3s at the same time, as I don't have soundcard drivers
installed.  I have an identical machine running WinNT4 Workstation which is
fine for working on (Office 2000), and will play MP3s without any troubles.

> Have been looking on Ebay and Compaq kit seems to be easy to come by
> with P2 boxes going for a couple of hundred quid

IMO, that'd be ample.

Andy
--
PC-Based Multimedia System