RE: OT: (ish) Web publishing question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: OT: (ish) Web publishing question
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 08:26:43 +0000

This is what is often referred to as "reverse proxying" or
"server
proxying".

You have 1 machine listening on port 80 for all incoming requests, which,
based on the resource requested, gets the content from the appropriate
internal server, and serves it back to the client.

It's exactly like when you use a proxy server to "serve" the
internet to
multiple clients on your LAN, but in reverse...

"normal" proxy:

----internet host-----proxy-----internal Lan-----client 1
-----client 2
-----client x....

<------ client request goes in this direction
------> content is served in this direction

"reverse" proxy:

internet client------proxy-----internal Lan-----webserver 1
-----webserver 2
-----webserver x....

------> client request goes in this direction
<------ content is served in this direction

It "may" require a winsock proxy client to be installed on each
of the
internal webservers to make them proxy-aware - not certain yet, as I
haven't
investigated this in detail....

So it *is* possible to do, (or should be!)...

(see, I just won't take no for an answer!)

Paul G.