RE: OT: (ish) Web publishing question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: OT: (ish) Web publishing question
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:16:20 +0000

Yup, that's pretty much what I'm trying to achieve. Bear in mind that
currently I have the 3 real servers a, b, & c in place on my internal
LAN,
all running a web service on port 80. I also have a redirection table setup
in the router which sends inbound requests for port 80 to real server a
(port 80), inbound requests on port 81 to real server b (port 80), and
inbound requests for port 82 to real server c(port 80).

The web service on real server a is IIS, which can perform redirections to
alternate URLS on a per directory basis,  - so on the IIS machine I set up
virtual directory which for the sake of clarity I shall call "b"
which
redirects "http://joe.blogs.co.uk/b/";
to the URL "http://joe.blogs.co.uk:81";
and a similar one for "c" and so on...

It would be great if the IIS machine actually did server PROXYING, - i.e.
actually keeping the original request from the browser and proxying it to
the appropriate internal server, and pushing the content back to the client
without all this tedious mucking about with port translation, but it
doesn't, so I'm left with only the method that I've started using, which I
think works as I want (more or less, - I'd like the redirection to be
invisible to the client, so that they don't get to see that they've been
sent to another port number..)

I will work on the proxying bit later, - for now I've more or less got the
effect I wanted, so other things have risen above it on the "things to
do -
urgent" list! - I still have MS Proxy server 2.0 on that machine as
well, -
but not currently used, - it's a hangover from my pre-router days when I
used to use it for the NAT and connections sharing... I know that MSP2 has
server proxying feature, but I've only seen reference to using it for
proxying SMTP traffic to internal servers.... But like I said, that's a job
for another day. :-)

Paul G.