RE: Re: OT: Which AV Amp?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: OT: Which AV Amp?
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <wormpurple@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:55:55 -0000

Replying to my own posts again!

Well, it's kind of irrelevant as to whether a DSP-A1 or an DSP-AX2 would
be better, 'cos I'm now the proud owner of a Denon AVR-3802 now!

I was watching Moulin Rouge on my ancient Kenwood KA-5040R amp/SS3300
Pro-logic processor last night and decided I'd had enough. It sounded
absolutely crap.

This evening, having spent a couple of hours wiring up, I watched some
snippets from Moulin Rouge again and then watched Shrek. It is, you'll
not be surprised to hear, bloody marvellous in comparison!

Bit of a shame that my Pioneer DVL-909 (LD/DVD combi) is not DTS
compatible, though searching around, it appears there's a 'two-resistor'
hack to enable DTS so I'll be having a word with my local dealer
tomorrow.

I decided to go for the Denon in the end, cos (a) DSP-A1 is too far
behind the times and lacks features (b) the DSP-A1X was just too
expensive (c) the Denon has Pro-logic II and (d) my local dealer had
some in stock ;-)

Here's a couple of questions, though...

Sky Digibox - outputs RGB, so at the mo, I'm routing video straight to
the TV, audio to the amp. Are the RGB to S-Video convertors like wot
Keene electronics sell any good?=20

I notice they also have a cheapy S-Video <--> composite adapter that
would do for the VCR, too. That would keep all the video signals in the
S-Video domain to the amp, so I wouldn't have to switch the AV inputs on
the TV.=20

Sound like a reasonable plan?

Steve