RE: Buying Tivo's My Experience

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Buying Tivo's My Experience
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:28:44 -0000

Bloody hell, that's the first TiVo death I've heard of!

The HDD upgrade is fairly easy *shudders with thoughts of
Linux...again!* but I managed it so I guess most people will be able to
easily do it. I kept the original drives in the state they came out of
TiVo, just in case.

I now have two 60Gb drives in TiVo which equates to about 40 hours at
the highest quality, more than enough for me and, I suspect, most people
and it was a good trade-off in price to HDD space. As to the comments
about time to access the drives, at this size it is negligible to be
honest; I really do not perceive a great difference, perhaps slightly
slower but not hellish much.

AFAIK, if you restore to earlier software then it does upgrade again
automatically with the daily call, so I wouldn't worry too much about
it.

As yet I haven't delved into the other hacks but I no doubt will in
time.

HTH

K.