RE: Advice wanted on automating plugs, lights, remotes etc

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Advice wanted on automating plugs, lights, remotes etc
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:56:53 -0000

> I wonder if any of you esteemed people can point me in the right
> direction.
>
> I am after a PC based, off the shelf (preferably, but I do have the
> ability to build components) home automation system. I have looked at
> the "B&Q" type and am not really that impressed.
>
> I am after something that will actually replace my plug sockets,
> light switches etc, as opposed to units that plug in to existing
> fittings.
>
> Some of the light switches I have control 3 banks of lights, so I
> would need a unit that were capable of doing this. A lot of the plug
> sockets are double units.
[Kenneth Watt]

You would have to link the banks to do this AFAIK.

> I could not fit units to the lights themselves, as I have completely
> replaced all of the lighting in my house with flush fitting low
> voltage downlighters.
[Kenneth Watt]

The only thing really small is the new A10 modules that, well for lamps,
aren't here yet, only the appliance modules. Small, but not cheap!

For the moment we have the plug-in modules and the DIN rail ones and
that's it I'm afraid.

> I would prefer a system that worked by sending the commands through
> the mains wiring as opposed to a radio linked system, as some of my
> work involves testing bits of gear that have the ability to transmit
> broad band RF interference (plays havoc with the TV!)
[Kenneth Watt]

X10 is using the mains wiring, it's the control method you need to sort.

> I already have a hard wired remote IR repeater system throughout the
> house, which I use for changing channels on the ITV digital box etc,
> regardless of which room I am in.
[Kenneth Watt]

The above is sorted then! :-)

Use IR back to the PC/Controller to operate X10 devices.

> I would like the system, if possible, to be able to transmit simple
> IR commands through some sort of interface (It would only need to do
> this in one room). I primarily want this so that I can automatically
> switch the TV and stereo on and off, open and close curtains (I have
> IR controlled automatic curtain rails) etc, etc whilst I am on
> holiday, therefore giving the illusion that someone is at home.
[Kenneth Watt]

Not quite sure what you're getting at here.

HTH

K.