Advice wanted on automating plugs, lights, remotes etc

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Advice wanted on automating plugs, lights, remotes etc
  • From: "ukwatchuk" <dave@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:15:59 -0000

I wonder if any of you esteemed people can point me in the right
direction.

I am after a PC based, off the shelf (preferably, but I do have the
ability to build components) home automation system. I have looked at
the "B&Q" type and am not really that impressed.

I am after something that will actually replace my plug sockets,
light switches etc, as opposed to units that plug in to existing
fittings.

Some of the light switches I have control 3 banks of lights, so I
would need a unit that were capable of doing this. A lot of the plug
sockets are double units.

I could not fit units to the lights themselves, as I have completely
replaced all of the lighting in my house with flush fitting low
voltage downlighters.

I would prefer a system that worked by sending the commands through
the mains wiring as opposed to a radio linked system, as some of my
work involves testing bits of gear that have the ability to transmit
broad band RF interference (plays havoc with the TV!)

I already have a hard wired remote IR repeater system throughout the
house, which I use for changing channels on the ITV digital box etc,
regardless of which room I am in.

I would like the system, if possible, to be able to transmit simple
IR commands through some sort of interface (It would only need to do
this in one room). I primarily want this so that I can automatically
switch the TV and stereo on and off, open and close curtains (I have
IR controlled automatic curtain rails) etc, etc whilst I am on
holiday, therefore giving the illusion that someone is at home.

I have seen a similar system in a clients house, but the units were
in when he purchased the property and there are no manufacturers
names on any of the gear, so I drew a blank there, but, it did prove
to me that such a beast exists.

Any help would be gratefully accepted

Thanks in advance

Dave