Proxy Server & SMTP Mail

  • To: "Ukha (E-mail)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Proxy Server & SMTP Mail
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:39:36 +0100

Dear All

Help!

As you may remember from a previous post I have had to install a mail
server between Demon and Exchange Server 5.0 due to Demon blocking
outgoing mail because of an open relay.

So.........I have installed a piece of software called vPOP3 (Which BTW
is excellent, although is a commercial, 'it costs' program.) which has
solved problems (Its configured so that Exchange sends mail to vPOP etc)
BUT I can't pull down incoming mail via SMTP. Demon tell me that they
can see my connection on port 25 but the mail server refuses a 'hello'
command and the mail just sits on the server.

I think we had simular problems under exchange as sometimes mail receipt
was VERY slow, sometimes appearing that we would have no inward mail for
24 hours or so, even though we knew people had sent mail.

Is this something to do with Proxy Server (vPOP3 is on the same server
as Proxy, actually we only have one server!)? It seems to all point this
way, but my total lack of understanding on Proxy and how Small Business
Server uses it has left me totally confused.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks
Rob
Rob Mouser