RE: Email And WebServer

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Email And WebServer
  • From: "Ray Barnett" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:43:36 +0100

>1. WWW server preferably supporting multiple web sites (not sure how
>this is acheived, do I need a seperate IP address for each site?)

You don't need multiple IP addresses, and you don't need to use Linux or any
third party software either. If you are planning to use Windows 2000 Server,
then the inbuilt IIS supports this requirement out of the box. I use this to
provide www.trackaddict.com, www.trilby.biz and www.felthead.com from my
Win2K server (not a huge amount of current content though as you may notice
;-) ). It's very easy to setup.

>2. Email Server that is completely stand alone collecting email from

You say you want to use Exchange. That's what Exchange does. I don't use it
personally because its resource requirements are hooge.

As far as running over an ADSL connection goes... I do. I wouldn't if my
websites had any commercial value though because as people point out, if
things go wrong, BT are crap at fixing it. However, it is perfectly fine to
run email from it provided you know at least one other person also running
their own email server. I have my DNS setup to use a friend's mail server as
a backup - if my line goes down, mail is sent to his server, stored in a
POP3 mailbox, and my server picks it up later when my line comes back. It
works very well.

As far as hacking IIS goes - said friend who provides my backup mail server
happens to host a commercial web site using IIS. It has been hacked
successfuly once in 2 years, which doesn't seem too bad. Site was down for a
couple of hours because of it.

HTH, Ray Barnett.