Re: Email And WebServer

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Email And WebServer
  • From: Matthew Keay <m@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:17:16 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, paul_watkin wrote:

> I am now getting adventurous and fancy hosting my own websites and
> providing my own email server, but haven't got the first clue how to
> achieve it!!!
>
> So can somebody please explain in SIMPLE terms, what I would need to
> implement in order to have the following functionality.
>
> 1. WWW server preferably supporting multiple web sites (not sure how
> this is acheived, do I need a seperate IP address for each site?)

You can get away with a single IP address using virtualhosts (for http
that is, not https).

> 2. Email Server that is completely stand alone collecting email from
> the internet and sending it directly, not via a third party service
> provider. Is this possible without spending horrendous ammounts of
> money?

Is this adsl? If so i'd really advise against it. Esp with BT/etc where
there is no SLA. If your lines down, you have at least 24hrs (at times)
before you can complain/etc - and when you're not getting emails... that
sucks.

> 3. If possible use standard USB webcams (assuming I use Win2K) and
> have the images served up on different websites running on the www
> server

Checkout teveo for win2k.

> Important Points
> 1. I will be using Exchange as I want the group calendar functions etc
> 2. 1 Box solution preferred i.e NT/2000 Box.
> 3. Fixed IP Address available
> 4. I will not be using LINUX

Out of interest - why not linux? wwwe.e-smith.org would be great for
everything else (except usb cams..) and does offer you lots of
choice/control.

> I would prefer to have as much of this under my control as possible.
>
> Also would a Via C3 board be powerfull enough to provide this kind of
> functionality?
>
> If I am asking daft questions or have missed something previously
> posted my apologies.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul

Just a few thoughts :0