RE: OT: The Great Sky Rip-Off

Mark Hetherington wrote:
> Kenneth Watt wrote:
> > Sky are promoting Sky+ like it's going out of fashion and seem to= be
> > doing anything to sell it to the masses but this golden goodie ju= st
> > really cracked me up.

How is the Sky+ getting on these days.  Is the software still really b= uggy?
Does it still FAIL to record very often?
Can it Record two feeds at once?

I was looking at getting Sky+ about 6 months ago, but decided to hold of until some of the software issues had been resolved.  I'm also hoping = that
they soon release a new model with a pre-loaded larger hard-disk.  I currently have a Sony TV with integrated ITV digital, which I've only ever<= BR> used for the Free To Air stuff (I don't have the module to decode scrambled=
channels).  So ITVD going down the toilet for me was a good thing, as = it may
free up room for more FTA channels.  I also have a mates old Sky Digit= al
box, without subscription which is usefull for when ITVD screws up (Not sur= e
my area has a very good TV reception).

> > So getting back to the Sony STB it turns out that, while it has t= he
> > optical out to support DD Sky will not be letting you enjoy those=
> > transmissions unless you cough up for Sky+, the only platform tha= t
> > does support DD.

Well I can't see DD transmission being that common on the Sky Platform.
They'll probably just use it for boxoffice and maybe some of the movie
channels.  The amount of channels sky seem to be squeezing into the available bandwidth, and the low bit rates on many channels makes me think<= BR> widespread DD usage is very unlikely.  Hell they can't even manage
widescreen transmissions on their own channels.  Why Enterprise (Star = Trek)
is shown on Sky One in 4:3 when it is recorded and shown at 16:9 in the US<= BR> is behond me.  Guess I'll have to hold out for the DVDs or maybe the B= BC.

Myself I'll be going for the basic sky sub when if get Sky+, as I don't
watch any sport and prefer to buy/rent DVD's to enjoy movies.

> IIRC Sony and Sky had a fall out. (Nothing new, everyone seems to
> fall out with Sony at some point). The Sony STB, despite being
> superior to other STBs, is often crippled thanks to this argument.

Why anyone would by the Sony box just because it has a TosLink output (whic= h
is not enabled) is behond me.  The software support should have been t= here
>from ike to
think you can recieve 2 Channel DD via TosLink (for Pro-Logic decoding). Does Sky+ do this, or do you still have to use the stereo analogue outs on<= BR> the scart as a backup.

> Charging to recieve two channels at once... this is part of the
> =A310 fee (one for record + one for view) so is already being done
> if I follow you correctly.

Well that =A310 would bring my subscription upto =A326 for the basic channe= ls.
I'll move old Sky box in the bedroom and run a lead to it, making use of th= e
spare outputs on the new LNB.  For that box I'll carry on with the FTA= card,
no way I'm paying Sky another 12quid.

> If a cable company ever bothered to setup where I live I would
> consider moving to cable since it might even get me broadband
> as well. But with no cable likely Sky is my only option.

>From what I hear digital cable uses a fairly low bit rate for a lot of
channels as well.  Dare I say the picture might be worse than ITVD and= SkyD.
Also the interactive stuff is nowhere near as good as Sky (from what I've seen breifly).  Though I wish Sky would provide an option to permantel= y dump
the red dot, thats something I would be willing to pay an additional
subscription for.

> ITVD will return in some form if only becoming BBCD and a free
> to air only system which still makes up the majority of people
> wanting TV provision.

Which is me, ITVD =3D FTA.  I'm not too bothered about most of the Sky=
Channels though I do miss having some of the music channels every now and then, and theres also E4 for SWMBO.

> Since the infrastructure exists, it is even possible that some
> PPV services could still be offered. The only reason E4 ceased
> transmission on ITVD was that there was nobody to pick up the
> subscriptions.

Possibly, though I wouldn't subscribe to it.  The signal is too flakey= in my
area at times, its mostley ok, but the occasional glitch anoys me.  Ca= use
there is no sub its ok but paying for it would get me mad if there was
glitching.  I understand some people can't get Sky or Cable, so subscr= iption
channels on ITVD may be missed.  To be honest though if you can't get = Sky
reception whats the chance of getting an aerial that can get a good ITVD signal.  I mean can you receive ITVD using a coat hanger on a portable= TV in
a caravan?  Will the Analog switch off ever happen?

Best thing I think, all round, is to watch less TV and do something less boring instead!

Rob
--
    / ___  / /  / / __   / _____ = HOME: chas@xxxxxxx    / /  /_/ / /__/ / / /__/ / / /__    http://www.kaosuk.co.uk/

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk