Top tips for Sky Digital installs ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Top tips for Sky Digital installs ?
  • From: "Stuart Booth" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 17:07:33 +0100

I've been looking at a few web sites for Sky install options this
afternoon. A TiVo has inspired me back to TV again :-)

Ultimately (not to mention 'eventually' - when I get around to it) I
want the Sky dish input coming into the loft for distribution around
the house via the forthcoming KAT5 Switcher (some HA
content!!), but what will happen initially is that it'll come down a
cable on the outside of the house and into the TV room through a
hole in the wall - this is what happens with the feed from an old
analogue dish up on the roof at the moment.

Query 1:

There seem to be a various pricing options but one from BT
mentioned on a n/g is quite appealing (=A310 install (!) if you opt for the full channel package which I believe is only mandatory for a
month, so this is cheaper for me than a =A340 install and a =A316 a
month package. Sky quote =A320 for the full package option
otherwise a =A3100 install charge!!).

Any others I've not come across yet?

Query 2:

What I don't want is the Amstrad digibox according to a mate's
advice. I'd ideally like one with a digital output and that means the
Sony box that I know of.

I came across http://www.digiboxes.ne= t/ but they don't list the
Sony one.

Do any other Sky STBs offer digital out (coax/optical optional) ?
My old ONdodgy did, so I was able to make use of the better
DACs in my amp - that's the theory anyway.

And lastly Query 3:

I have emailed a local independent installer to see what they can
do for me, but is there anything I should consider asking the
installer to do such as feeding an additional cable into the loft as
well as down the side of the house ? There seem to be holes up
there already I hope to reuse.

I can't do anything with a feed in the loft without running a cable
across the floor/walls in the meantime. I daresay the =A310 charge
>from like-maam install so additional expense from an independent to
*my* requirements might be a better option and is something I will
investigate.

Stuart

--
Stuart Booth
Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

stuart@xxxxxxx / stuart@xxxxxxx

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk