RE: SliMP3 Ethernet MP3 Player

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: SliMP3 Ethernet MP3 Player
  • From: "Tony Butler" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 13:40:44 +0100

> I wonder if using really short names would help - eg \\A\M\A\S\1.wma
> would save a fair few bytes over
> \\ACHERON\MUSIC\Avalanches\SinceILeftYou\01-Since I Left You.wma.
> Multiply that by 30000 songs and that's a lot of space saved.....

To answer my own question, this is from the AT support list (yes, more
ppl who can't stay away from their PC's of a Saturday!):

"The programmers at VTB have already made a major improvement in
capacity some time back, before which the capacity was only something
like 8,000. I doubt there are more rabbits that they can pull out of
that hat.

Name length, both file names and tag names, have some effect, but not as
much as you might think. As I recall, someone tried making all of the
names something like one character long, and the capacity only increased
to about 40,000. So for all practical purposes the capacity is, and will
probably remain, 30,000."

Tony