RE: SliMP3 Ethernet MP3 Player

Title: RE: [ukha_d] SliMP3 Ethernet MP3 Player

To add fuel to the debate below was recently posted on the slimp3-dev group by one of the SliMP3 developers.

I can vouch for the great sound - through Meridian amps and Monitor Audio Speakers, not quite as good as the Meridian CD player but good enough given the convenience.

=============
Well the thing about the Audiotron is that they goofed in designing the
analog stage, and ran the RCA cables in a strange way from the main board
to the front panel and back, going right across the 110 VAC connections
and the transformer. Oops. That's why if you have an AT, you'd better be
using the optical output.

SliMP3 sounds just great on the analog outputs.  In fact, if anyone wants
to take the Pepsi challenge, come by my office and listen to it on a pair
of Sennheisers, and then listen to the AT with coax output. $50 says you
can't tell which is which.  ;)

The reason I haven't added SPDIF is simply that I can't afford to re-tool
for new boards, stencils, cases, etc to make it happen. I understand the
desire to keep everything digital as much as possible, but for most people
it's a useless feature - I chose to spend the $$ instead on a better
display.  You've have to focus on the features that are worth something to
everyone.